Ph.D Admission - July/Aug 2023 SESSION
Admission and Eligibility for Ph.D Degree program
Dayananda Sagar University ( DSU ) offers Ph D Programs in various disciplines. The University has well qualified faculty members to supervise research scholars and lead them to their Doctoral degree. These programs are available in both the full time and part time modes. DSU believes in the importance of interdisciplinary research and hence encourages scholars to pursue their work in socially relevant interdisciplinary areas.
Applications are invited for registration to the following Full Time/Part Time Research Programmes :
- Ph.D. in the Faculty of Engineering ( CS&E , E&CE, Mechanical Engg., & Aerospace Engineering)
- Ph.D. in the Faculty of Commerce & Management Studies
- Ph.D. in the Faculty of Basic & Applied Sciences ( Life Sciences , Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics)
- Ph.D. in the Faculty of Health Sciences ( Pharmaceutical Sciences, Physiotherapy and Nursing Sciences)
- The candidate desirous of pursuing Ph.D. degree shall discuss with one of the guides listed above and submit the application in the prescribed form through proper channel wherever applicable. The Entrance Test application form and the necessary details are available at the end of this page.
- The selection of Ph D scholars is done based on the performance in the Entrance Test and the Interview conducted by an Expert Panel in the chosen discipline. However, the candidates should get min 50% in the aggregate, in the Entrance Test to become eligible for the interview. A relaxation of 5% marks ( from 50% to 45% in the case of PG degree Holders OR 70% to 65% in the case of 4-year Degree holders ) is allowed for the candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC ( Non Creamy Layers)/Differently-abled category as per the MHRD ( UGC ) notification F. No. 1-1/2002/(PS)Exempt( PT. FI. III) Vol-II dated 28th August 2018. Selection of Scholars in a discipline is done strictly based on the rank list prepared in that discipline by adding the performance of the candidates in the Entrance Test and interview.
a) Dayananda Sagar University Ph. D Entrance Test :
The University will conduct Entrance Test of 120 marks for 3 hours duration as under:
The syllabi of various disciplines for the Entrance Test for candidates other than those who have qualified UGC-JRF/UGC-NET/ UGC-CSIR JRF/ UGC-CSIR NET / SLET / GATE or hold teacher fellowship are in the tab “Entrance Test Syllabus”
b) Interview by an Expert Panel :
The candidates shortlisted based on the performance in the Entrance Test will submit their Research Proposal with the help of the Supervisor ( and Co-supervisor, if any) and present before an Expert Panel set up by the University in the chosen discipline.
Duration of the Program
- Ph. D program will be for a minimum duration of THREE/FOUR years for the candidates with PG Qualification, including course work for FULL TIME/PART TIME scholars from the date of Ph D Registration. Candidates with 4-year degree will have FOUR/FIVE years duration including course work for FULL TIME/PART TIME scholars from the date of Ph. D. Registration.
- Extension of ONE year for both the FULL TIME and PART TIME Scholars from the date of registration beyond the above limits shall be permitted based on the recommendation of the Research Supervisor and the Research Advisory Committee concerned.
Mode of Entrance Test : Ph. D Entrance Test will be held on Sunday, the 27-08-2023 in Offline Mode at our DSU Innovation Campus, Kudlu Gate, Hosur Main Road, Bangalore 560114.
|1||Last date for submission of filled in Application Form||18-08-2023|
|2||Ph. D Entrance Test||27-08-2023|
|3||Announcement of the list of candidates who have successfully completed the Entrance Test||04-09-2023|
|4||Interview of the candidates by expert panel||
14-09-2023 till 23-09-2023
|5||Announcement of the final list of candidates selected||28-09-2023|
|6||Last date for Ph.D Admissions||06-10-2023|
|7||Ph.D Admission with late fee||14-10-2023|
*Please refer to the Ph. D Regulations in the link Research Regulations for more details’
- Rs 72,000/- for the first year to be paid during the admission
- Rs 62,000/- for the second and the subsequent years to be paid in the start of the year
- USD 2,450/- per year to be paid at the start of the year for NRI and Foreign candidates
ELIGIBILITY FOR ADMISSION
- A candidate who has obtained Masters degree ( Engineering, Sciences, Commerce & Management, and Allied Health Sciences ) from Dayananda Sagar University or any other University recognized as equivalent securing not less than 55% of the aggregate marks prescribed for the examination, or it’s equivalent grade ( in a point scale wherever grading system is followed ) and passed entrance examination for the Ph. D degree program, shall be eligible for admission to the Ph. D Degree Course. A relaxation of 5% of marks, or an equivalent relaxation of grade will be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-abled categories.
- A candidate with M. Phil Degree of this University or any other University recognized as equivalent there to in the concerned or cognate subject shall also be eligible for admission to the Ph. D Degree course, after passing the entrance examination as prescribed.
- A candidate, who has obtained a 4-year degree such as B.E/B.Tech/B.S or any other 4-year UGC recognized degree with minimum 70% aggregate marks (or equivalent grade point average) will be eligible to directly apply for Ph.D. Programme. A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 70% to 65%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade will be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC(non-creamy layer)/Differently-abled categories
Ph.D in Inter-Disciplinary Area
- The University encourages interdisciplinary research leading towards awarding of PhD degree, for such students who have Masters degree/4-year degree in appropriate subjects securing not less than 55%/70% of the aggregate marks prescribed for the examination, or it’s equivalent grade ( in a point scale wherever grading system is followed ) and passed entrance examination for the PhD degree course, shall be eligible for admission to the Ph. D Degree Course. A relaxation of 5% of marks or an equivalent relaxation of grade will be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC(non-creamy layer)/Differently-abled categories.
- The candidate shall submit the title of the research area and the research proposal along with his/her application.
- The degree shall be awarded in the discipline in which the candidate has registered to Ph.D. program. Further Supervisor and Co-Supervisor (if any) may be assigned from appropriate discipline.
Full Time Ph. D Candidates having 4 / 5-year UG or 5-year integrated masters or 2-year Masters degree with CGPA 7.5 and above (on a 10-point scale) or equivalent with a waiver of 0.5 CGPA in case of SC/ST/OBC ( non-creamy layer )/EWS/Differently-abled candidates are eligible to apply for the position of fulltime scholars with fellowship. The candidates shall have some research orientation with proven credentials apart from clearing the Admission Process with excellent scores. The details of the Fellowship in selected disciplines ( CS&E, E&CE,Mechanical Engg., Aerospace Engg., Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Life Sciences,Management Studies and Pharmaceutical Sciences ) are in the below table::
|Fellowship per month||Workload|
||6 to 8 hours work per week as recommended by the concerned School of Study (such as a teaching / research assistant to a regular faculty for question bank preparation, project guidance, handling tutorials, collecting teaching materials, solving and grading the assignments, preparing presentations, research paper reviews and monitoring industry visits)|
Atal Incubation Centre at DSU ( AIC-DSU) will need a few full-time Ph. D candidates with fellowship. Candidates should have interest in innovation & entrepreneurship.
HOW TO APPLY
Application form shall be downloaded here: Download Application form
The filled application form for the Ph D Entrance Test shall be submitted along with a fee of Rs 2500/- towards Ph D Entrance Test and Interview in the form of a DD drawn in favour of Dayananda Sagar University payable at Bangalore to Registrar Office, Dayananda Sagar University, Innovation Campus Kudlu Gate, Hosur Road, 560114.
Scanned filled Application form can also be sent to
with the subject: Ph.D. Admissions- July/Aug 2023.
Alternatively, the fee of Rs. 2500/- may also be paid online using the following Bank details:
|Account Name :||Dayananda Sagar University|
|Bank Name||Bank of Baroda|
|Branch||DSCE Branch, Bangalore|
|IFSC Code||BARB0VJDASC ( 5th char is “zero” )|