DSU Research Promotion Policy
DSU, a multi- disciplinary University, promotes research culture by adopting the following, widely publicized, policies:
- Provision of research seed grant, with a ceiling of Rs. 5 lakhs per proposal thereby encouraging researchers to start off with their initial research
- Encouragement given to researchers in the Departments to send their research proposals to external funding agencies and industries and pass on an equivalent of 8% of the sanctioned amount as incentive to Principal Investigators
- Financial support for travel for attending conferences and organizing conferences
- DSU-KSCST IP Cell incepted to safeguard the intellectual properties created
- Creation of exclusive university level position, Research Professor, with mandate to prioritize multi and inter disciplinary research
- Offering of vibrant PhD programs across wide disciplines, as well as interdisciplinary research
- Due weightage for research activities carried out, during annual faculty appraisals
- Either registered for PhD or having a PhD degree is one among the criteria for fresh / selection recruitment for entry level faculty position
- Provision for faculty members without PhD and JRF / SRF staff working in research projects, to pursue PhD,
- Creating high-end research facilities.
The Seed Money Grant Scheme has been designed to stimulate competitive research in strategic areas of national and global relevance and interdisciplinary areas. The internal calls inviting proposals are made every year, scrutinized, sanctioned, and periodically reviewed for progress. The scheme also facilitates initial research to test novel ideas, which may culminate in developing in to research proposals worth to be considered by external funding agencies later.
The policy of safeguarding the intellectual properties of research findings with potential business value has been implemented via DSU-KSCST Intellectual Property Cell, established in collaboration with the Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST), which enables and assists faculty members, research scholars, and students for filing of patents.
To promote Inter/Multi/Trans-disciplinary projects at DSU, a Core Committee has been formed. Seed Money grant policy is also extended to Inter/Multi/Trans-disciplinary projects.